Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Review: Millie's Fling

Summary: He's the best thing that ever happened to her. He's also the worst. He's Millie's Fling. From one of the premiere contemporary authors in the UK, here is a fun and romantic tale that proves the road to matchmaking hilarity is paved with good intentions.

Bestselling novelist Orla Hart owes her life to her friend Millie Brady, whose rotten boyfriend has just left her. So Orla invites Millie to Cornwall, where Millie looks forward to a summer without any dating whatsoever. But Orla envisions Millie as the heroine of her next novel and decides to find Millie the man of her dreams. Except the two women have drastically different ideas about what kind of guy that should be.

With Orla and Millie working at cross-purposes, and a dashing but bewildered hero stuck in the middle, the summer will turn out to be unforgettable for all concerned... -- Sourcebooks Landmark

MILLIE'S FLING by Jill Mansell is the third book by Ms. Mansell that I've read in the past few months, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I pretty much knew from the first one (AN OFFER YOU CAN'T REFUSE - my review) that I really liked her writing; and then I read MIRANDA'S BIG MISTAKE (my review) and absolutely fell in love with her light and funny novels. I'm not sure MILLIE'S FLING was my absolute favorite (I think MIRANDA'S BIG MISTAKE still wins out) but I had a great time with this book.

I admit I am always a little taken aback by how long Ms. Mansell's books are. MILLIE'S FLING was 500 pages! The funny thing is that you don't realize that you are reading a pretty, darn long book. I got so caught up in the characters and the story that I didn't want to put the book down. Plus, I think Ms. Mansell's books are so easy to read that the length isn't an issue. I love how Ms. Mansell tells her stories -- it's almost as if she's talking to the reader as a friend would. Plus, there is a lot going on in her books, both with characters and plots, that make the pace of the book move quickly.

I think one of the things I most appreciate about Ms. Mansell's books are her characters. Often times, I find that I am annoyed by the main characters in chick lit books. (You can probably chalk that up to me getting old!) That's not the case in her books. Ms. Mansell creates such likable and heartwarming characters (like Millie and Orla) that the reader can't help but root for them. I'm not saying that I always agree with the characters and their actions (especially Hester's -- Millie's best friend) but Ms. Mansell manages to develop characters who ultimately are good people. So often, her characters are flawed yet they always seem to realize the errors of their ways. As a reader, I love seeing characters grow and mature throughout the course of a book!

Another great thing about Ms. Mansell's books are how she manages to have a lot of supporting characters and side stories. I love how she is able to weave all of the characters and their lives together in one big book. I found that I enjoyed all of the relationship ups and downs in this book, and I was very curious to see who would end up together. I liked so many of the characters and just wanted them to have some a little love in their lives! I definitely appreciated how everything was wrapped up by the end of the book (although some might criticize that everything was too wrapped up.) However, that's one of the main reasons I read chick-lit books -- for the happy endings!

MILLIE'S FLING is just a really cute story about a bunch of characters looking for love (whether they realize it or not.) Ms. Mansell has once again written a very entertaining story filled with lots of funny moments. Of course, there are mishaps and lots of confusion along the way that make the story very interesting; but ultimately, the reader is rewarded with a happily ever after ending!

If you are a fan at all of chick lit and you haven't discovered Jill Mansell, you are totally missing out! Brits have been reading her for years, but I am so glad that Sourcebooks is now releasing these books in the U.S. I am sure that Ms. Mansell will gain new (and loyal) readers. And I am pretty much willing to bet that you will enjoy her novels as much as I have, so what are you waiting for?

Thanks to the publisher for sending me an ARC of this book.

Make sure you come back tomorrow because you're in for a treat. Ms. Mansell is stopping by with a fabulous guest post, and I will be giving away two copies of MILLIE'S FLING!

7 comments:

bermudaonion said...

This does sound like a cute story that I would enjoy. I've read 2 of Jill Mansell's books and enjoyed them both. I agree with you - she writes great characters.

Anna said...

This sounds like a fun book. I'm glad you liked it, as I'll be starting it soon. Mansell's books are long, but for the most part, you hardly notice.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Kim said...

I love a good mix of fun. Do these books need to be read in order?

Beth F said...

This does sound good. I'm not a huge fan of chick-lit because I often can't relate to the characters, but I think I might have a different experience with Mansell's books.

S. Krishna said...

I agree - I enjoyed this one, but Miranda's Big Mistake was still my favorite!

Serena said...

I'm reading this one now...and you really don't realize how many pages these books are as you read them...they fly by and they are so much fun.

Marg said...

I read this a few years ago and remember really liking it!

I just started to reread it yesterday and immediately started enjoying it!