Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Everything Austen Challenge

Ever since I heard that Stephanie at Stephanie's Written Word was hosting an Everything Austen Challenge, I've wanted to sign up. I have only read one Jane Austen novel, one Austen inspired novel; and I've never seen any movies based on her works. It's rather embarrassing since I consider myself a book lover! And, I have a feeling that I would really enjoy all of them.

So, I've been toying with the idea; and I'm finally taking the plunge.

Here are the details! The Everything Austen Challenge will run for six months (July 1, 2009 – January 1, 2010)! All you need to do is pick out what six Austen-themed things you want to finish to complete the challenge.

I haven't worked out exactly what six Austen-themed things I'm going to do over the next six months. But here are a few ideas I'm toying with -- please realize that these are subject to change based on my whims!

JANE AUSTEN RUINED MY LIFE by Beth Pattillo

THE LOST MEMOIRS OF JANE AUSTEN by Syrie James

THE JANE AUSTEN BOOK CLUB - movie

RUDE AWAKENINGS OF A JANE AUSTEN ADDICT by Laurie Viera Rigler

BECOMING JANE - movie

SENSE AND SENSIBILITY by Jane Austen

AUSTENLAND by Shannon Hale

I realize I listed seven items, and there are still quite a few more that I was tempted to put down! These are just my initial thoughts. I'll probably change this list quite a few times in the next six months. If you have any "must read" or "must watch" Austen-themed things, please let me know it the comments!

11 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so partial to all things Austen; this challenge is like a dream come true for me. "Sense & Sensibility" is a great one to read and I really recommend the Emma Thompson movie version.

Carrie K. said...

I am definitely joining this challenge. I've been wanting to re-read Sense and Sensibility and Persuasion (my favorite Austen). I loved Austenland and The Jane Austen Book Club, by the way.

Nicole (Linus's Blanket) said...

I hadn't heard about this but it looks great This is one challenge I will have to sign up for.

Stephanie said...

So glad you are joining in! I have to suggest, like Lit & Life said, to watch the Emma Thompson version of Sense & Sensibility! She not only starred in it but won the oscar for writing the best screenplay. It is one of my all time FAVORITE movies!!

bermudaonion said...

Good luck with the challenge, Julie!

Beth F said...

I'm joining this too! My post will be up tomorrow or Saturday.

Book Escape said...

You picked some of my favorites! Sense & Sensibility is my favorite Austen novel. And, Becoming Jane is a really good movie. Austenland is a funny one and The Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen is a good one, too. I've reviewed a couple on my blog if you're interested.

Michelle said...

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience. I too am doing the challenge and tried to diversify as much as possible.

If you are going to choose only one movie I'd recommend Becoming Jane over Jane Austen Book Club. Both were good but in different ways. I liked Becoming Jane as it gave perspective on her life in the period.

Good luck!

Serena said...

I really enjoyed Lost Memoirs of Jane Austen. Its a great book.

I'm glad you signed up for the challenge. I'll be participating as well.

I really like the Keira Knightly Pride and Prejudice movie, if you are looking for something to add to the list.

Lenore Appelhans said...

What? Never seen an Austen based movie? Wow. I might join the challenge and then rewatch/reread some of my faves. Plus I want to read the Zombie version of P&P.

Lindy said...

My favorite movie of all time is "Persuasion" with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. Time magazine named it one of the best ten movies of 1995. I found the book much easier to understand once I had watched the movie a few times.