Sunday, May 10, 2009

Review: Either You're In or You're In the Way

Summary: The hilarious, implausible, and touching story of twin brothers accomplishing the impossible—making a feature film (with a cast and crew with 11 Academy Awards and 26 nominations) with no experience, no money and no contacts.

When identical twin brothers Logan and Noah Miller's homeless father died alone in a jail cell, they vowed, come hell or high water, that their film, Touching Home, would be made as a dedication to their love for him. Either You're in or You're in the Way is the amazing story of how—without a dime to their names nor a single meaningful contact in Hollywood—they managed to write, produce, direct, and act in a feature film alongside four-time Academy Award-nominated actor Ed Harris and fellow nominees Brad Dourif and Robert Forster.

Either You're in or You're in the Way tells of the desperate struggle of two sons fighting to keep a vow to their father, and in so doing, creating a better life for themselves. A modern-day Horatio Alger on steroids, this fast-paced thrill ride of heartbreak and redemption will both captivate and inspire.-- Harper

When I first heard about the book EITHER YOU'RE IN OR YOU'RE IN THE WAY by Logan and Noah Miller, I just knew I wanted to read it. The story of two brothers who decide to make a movie about their father in just twelve months is an amazing story The Miller Brothers actually wrote, produced, directed, and even acted in the movie -- and they were totally self-taught! As I read this book, I couldn't believe what they were able to accomplish through sheer will. It definitely goes to show that sometimes truth is stranger than fiction.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading EITHER YOU'RE IN OR YOU'RE IN THE WAY. The whole idea behind the making of the movie is extremely interesting, but I also liked the way the brothers told their story. The book consisted of seven major "parts;" and each part is made up of brief (and amusing) anecdotes about their adventures in movie-making. Many of these stories were just incredible, and I definitely think the Miller Brothers would agree that they had more than a little luck on their side. As I read this book, I really got the feeling that this movie was meant to be!

Many of the things that happened to them along the way of getting their movie made were outrageously funny, but I also found myself deeply touched with their endeavor. I felt their ups and downs as well as their intense stress levels; and I have to say that I have a huge amount of respect for these two guys. This book is extremely entertaining, but I walked away with some wonderful messages about life too. The Miller Brothers showed not only the value of keeping your word, but also how persistence can pay off even in what seems to be an insurmountable undertaking.

After reading this book and learning the background on the movie Touching Home, I desperately want to to see this movie. I am so interested in seeing the final product of all their efforts (and I absolutely adore Ed Harris so that doesn't hurt either.) One thing that kept running through my head as I read this book was that this actual story -- the making of the movie -- would make a terrific movie too. There would be drama, action, suspense, intriguing characters, and even some humor!

I recommend EITHER YOU'RE IN OR YOU'RE IN THE WAY if you are interested in learning how a movie is made, but also if you are looking for a heartwarming and inspiring read that is guaranteed to make you laugh. Check out this video from when The Miller Brothers appeared on a morning television show:



Thanks to Julie at FSB Associates for sending me a copy of this book.

4 comments:

Beth F said...

I've seen reviews of this and it looks great. And after watching the video, I like Ed Harris even more than I did before.

bermudaonion said...

I love touching true-life stories like that. I agree with Beth, after watching that video, I think Ed Harris is great. Happy Mother's Day to you, Julie!

Amy said...

I can't wait to see Touching Home, too! I enjoyed this book and hope lots of people read it. :)

Alyce said...

I had heard of this book, but then had forgotten about it. I'll have to add it to my list. I'm glad to hear it's good.