Monday, March 2, 2009

Guest Blogger: Booking Daughter

As part of Booking Daughter's language arts assignment, she had to write a persuasive piece. She selected as her topic the benefits of reading. I was thrilled when she brought home the finished product for me to read. Keep in mind, she's only nine years old.

Of course, her essay captured my heart; and I thought I'd share it with all of you! I'm such a proud mommy!

Dear Non-Book Lovers,

Read more. Why? You become a better speller, become more interested in books, and you go on magical adventures. Books are fun. So let's read more!

You become a better speller. You can look at a word and memorize it because you remember reading about it in a book. You get smarter and get better grades. You get a bigger vocabulary because you comprehend more words. Don't you want those things? If you do, read more.

It is better than TV. You probably don't believe that but it is true. You don't become a couch potato and you learn more. It doesn't waste electricity and TVs cost way more than a book. The books are way more interesting. TV is good but books are wonderful.

You can go on magical adventures in places that you can't imagine. You can let your imagination go anywhere. If you want to go anywhere, find a book. You'll be there in a few seconds (and it doesn't cost as much as a trip). You can go on adventures anywhere, anytime.

Read more books. You can become an awesome speller, don't watch TV as much, and go on magical adventures. It is great and it involves a lot of learning.

Books:

Diary of a Wimpy Kid series
Diary of a Wimpy Kid
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Rodrick Rules
Diary of a Wimpy Kid: The Last Straw

American Girl series
Kaya
Felicity
Josefina
Addy
Samantha
Kit
Molly
Julie

Amazing Day of Abby Hayes books

Baby-sitters Club books

Sweet Valley Kids/Twins/High books

Genres
Biographies
Autobiographies
Informational
Historical Fiction
Poetry
Realistic Fiction
Fantasy
Science Fiction
Traditional Fiction
Mysteries

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is great! What a fantastic way to promote reading and especially on Read Across America Day! Good job Booking Daughter and to you too Booking Mama for showing her the joy of reading!!!

Sage Ravenwood said...

I almost cried when I read this. It's all good...I just wish I had, had a mother like you who encouraged the love of reading. I'm leaving a link and maybe you will understand a bit why the tears. Thank you for doing this for your daughter! (Hugs)Indigo

http://deafscreams.blogspot.com/2009/02/wind-torn-grass.html

Darlene said...

Julie, I'm shocked that she's only nine years old. This is fantastic. She definitely inherited the writing gene from her mom. Great job and so true!

Anonymous said...

This is great! Anyone who reads this would definitely be persuaded to read more books. I hope you received a terrific grade. I'm proud of you.

Booking Pappap

bermudaonion said...

I love it and I totally agree that reading is better than TV.

Chrisbookarama said...

Great job, Booking Daughter! Keep it up and keep reading!

S. Krishna said...

This is so great! Thanks so much for sharing!

bethany (dreadlock girl) said...

I love reading too, and you are right it is SO much better than TV. You did an excellent job on that essay you wrote, it is perfect. You'll have to come back and write posts more often, it is nice to get a different perspective on things.

I have to tell you, today I just finished reading Anne of Green Gables and I wish I had read it when I was younger. I really missed out. In the begging Anne is a little too much, but you'll fall in love with her just like I did. Have you read any of Lucy Maud Montgomery's classics? beautiful.

Thanks for sharing booking daughter!!

Amy said...

A++++++

What a wonderful piece!!! I really like how she points that out about spelling...that's really smart and perceptive and I'm not sure I would have even thought about that at her age!

Anonymous said...

Great job, Booking Daughter. I'm persuaded to read more books and not just comics.

Booking Uncle

Anonymous said...

Booking Daughter, you are clearly a girl after my own heart. Fantastic job on the essay, you laid your argument out very clearly and were quite persuasive in your arguments. Keep reading and writing and someday maybe we'll be reviewing YOUR books!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm really impressed, I think I would have thought her much older than 9 if you hadn't said anything. I think Booking Daughter deserves an A+! And so do you, Julie, for doing such a fantastic job promoting reading to your daughter. =)

Melanie said...

What a fabulous essay! Unfortunatley as much as I read when I was young, I never did get ood at spelling. It always confounded my teachers. Part of my problem was I read a lot of British books and so spelled things the British way. I did end up with a great vocabulary - I just couldn't spell the words.

Karlie said...

Great paper, "Booking Daughter"! You are becoming quite a writer. Your teacher must have loved it. I'm very proud of you.

Aunt Karlie

Beth F said...

Super essay!! Thanks Booking Daughter!

Unknown said...

I hope you put this one up on the refrigerator, definitely a keeper. Great Work!

Dottie

Anonymous said...

Excellent job, Booking Daughter!!! At first, I did not realize just WHO was writing this. I wish I had the know-how and opportunities when I was younger. And to you, Booking Mommy, You're one of a kind : ) Grandma Celeste

Anna said...

Wow! You've got a talented writer on your hands. I can't believe she's only 9.

--Anna
Diary of an Eccentric

Anonymous said...

As a master's student in creative writing with a BA in English Lit and a huge advocate for kids and books, I absolutely loved this. Am glad that by my example my future children may also love books/reading. The stigma that seems to surround kids who read and reading and books in general worries me. The desire for immediacy through internet and TV rather than sitting with a good book is terrifying really. It warms me that Booking Daughter prefers to turn off the television.

PS. I really enjoyed Nancy Drew and Boxcar Children as well as most of those on the great list that was mentioned. I do get a thrill out of solving problems and finding patterns even today.